Wednesday, June 2, 2010

O-H-I-O

Ohio again. Been here since Monday night. We took mom to the doctor on Tuesday. They sent her to the hospital for another MRI of the brain. She is very confused most of the time. The MRI showed no cancer in the brain. We were basically told of our options but since we can't find a doctor to do the surgery, we have called Hospice. Hard choices, tough.

Tonight, we put mom to bed and I was getting ready to eat when we heard her fall out of bed. We found her laying face down on the floor. She cried and said, "Why do I keep messing things up?" I had to cry. She was just trying to go to the bathroom.

No one can prepare you for this. It is heart breaking to watch your mom go through this. She cried today and said, "Kathy, you shouldn't have to clean up your mom like this." I reassured her that she would do it for me. An hour later she started talking about a 'shoat' or something like that in her bed. I guess a shoat is a baby pig. She laughed a few times today. She hasn't done that for a couple of weeks.

She is also frustrated with the doctors. She knows she was supposed to already have the surgery. She just wants that cancer out. I wonder if everyone hits one brick wall after another when faced with something like this?

1 comment:

Searls Stuff said...

I am so sorry that your mother's condition is so heartbreaking. It is such a difficult thing, to watch your parents struggle with health issuesl. Even more that that is the difficulty they experience when they are no longer strong and the care giver. Hang in there, Kathy. I am sure the Lord will sustain you as you strive to care for Helen.