Wednesday, April 28, 2010

What a week

One week. A lot can happen in just one week. Last week I spent three days in the hospital to see if I could go off seizure medicine. I am down to one pill a day now and in a month, should be totally off. Good news.

On Thursday morning, my mom called and told me she had cancer. Isn't there a song that says, Should I stay or should I go?" That is how I felt, should I stay home or go to my mom. Sunday I made the trip to Ohio. Mom has kidney cancer and it has spread to her lungs. Tuesday we visited the cancer doctor. It is Stage 4, her kidney needs to be removed and then she will go on Chemo pills for the lung cancer. We are hopeful. She is so tired and weak. She has lost over 60 pounds since December. She slept 28 of my first 36 hours here.

She is resting now. She is a bit relieved to know what she is fighting. We are hopeful that she will have a few years left. I plan to write a blog about my mom. I want my kids and grandkids to know this amazing woman. I will start my blog tomorrow.

2 comments:

Searls Stuff said...

I am so sorry! Cancer is such a cruel disease. I will hope and pray for the best.

Amanda said...

"As a family we learned, strangely enough, that cancer is a disease of love. It provides opportunities to mend fences, say goodbyes, and express love. A few weeks before my mother’s death, we were visiting in the family room of my boyhood home. Mom had fine taste and liked nice things. She also longed to travel, but our family lived on a modest budget, and these dreams were not quite realized. Knowing this, I asked her if she had any regrets. I fully expected to hear she had always wanted a larger, more beautiful home or perhaps an expression of sadness and disappointment over never having traveled. She pondered my question for a few moments and replied simply, “I wish I had served more.” " Steven E. Snow "Service" 2007

I know it doesn't always seem that cancer is a disease of love, it really can be. I hope Gran starts feeling well again. Love you.
Casey